In this episode, hosts Kim Poyner, Chris Smeed and Riwka Hagen interview Karen Booth, the President of the Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association (APNA). They discuss the role of APNA in supporting primary health care nurses and the challenges faced by nurses in the industry, particularly in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Karen also shares her insights on the importance of continuing professional development and the impact of technology on the future of primary health care nursing.
- The Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association (APNA) plays a crucial role in supporting primary health care nurses in Australia.
- Nurses in the primary health care industry face a number of challenges, including the need for ongoing professional development, managing increased patient demand, and ensuring their own health and wellbeing.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the importance of nurses in the primary health care industry and the need for additional resources and support.
- APNA has developed a range of resources and training opportunities for primary health care nurses, including online courses and webinars.
- Nurses can access additional support through the APNA membership program, which includes access to professional development opportunities, mentoring and networking.
- Technology is increasingly playing a role in the future of primary health care nursing, including the use of telehealth and remote patient monitoring.
- Nurses need to be equipped with the skills to use new technologies effectively in their practice.
- There is a need for greater recognition of the value of primary health care nursing and the contribution it makes to the health care system.
- Collaboration and communication between health care professionals is essential in ensuring the best outcomes for patients.
- Primary health care nurses have a unique and important role in promoting health and preventing illness, particularly in the community setting.
Resources & Links:
- Medicubes website: https://www.medicubes.com.au
- Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association (APNA) website: https://www.apna.asn.au/
- APNA membership program: https://www.apna.asn.au/membership/
- APNA COVID-19 resources: https://www.apna.asn.au/covid-19/
- APNA online courses and webinars: https://www.apna.asn.au/education/online-learning/
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia: https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency: https://www.ahpra.gov.au/